Established in 2004, Misean Cara is an international and Irish faith-based missionary movement working with some of the most marginalised and vulnerable communities in developing countries. We are working to realise human rights through support for education, health, livelihoods and income generation, and humanitarian aid, as well as capacity development, advocacy, networking and community mobilisation. Our movement is made up of 91 member organisations working in over 50 countries.
In 2018, Misean Cara funded 265 projects in 61 countries, to a total value of €13,442,145. The projects were implemented by 52 of our member organisations, and targeted over 1,450,000 people.
The current strategy, Walking Together to Transform Lives, runs from 2017 to 2021 (Annex 1). Misean Cara wishes to conduct a mid-term review to determine progress, opportunities and challenges, and to maximise momentum during the remaining period to 2021. The Strategy is summarised in the graphic below.
The strategic purpose of Misean Cara is to enable missionaries to facilitate effective development work.
This is achieved through the definition of strategic content and direction, the acquisition and distribution of funding, and the provision of support and advice in project cycle management.
The Strategy 2017-2021 identified five goals:
- Uphold the right to quality education
- Uphold the right to better health, clean water and sanitation
- Uphold the right to sustainable livelihoods
- Uphold and advocate for human rights
- Enhance and promote the missionary approach to development.
The Strategy identified four critical success factors: enhancing organisational excellence, maximising resource potential, strengthening our learning culture and inspiring global citizens.
Purpose and Objectives
The purpose of the mid-term review is to critically review progress against the organisational strategy for the period 2017 to 2019 and propose adaptation if required for the remainder of the strategy period.
With this core purpose in mind, the review will address the following specific objectives:
- To map key achievements during the period January 2017 to June 2019, against each of the five goals and in the area of humanitarian assistance
- To identify and outline strategic learning from challenges encountered
- To recommend areas where changes might be necessary to give additional focus over the coming two years in order to fulfil the current Strategy by 2021
- To consider the external environment, in relation to development and humanitarian work, in Ireland and overseas, and assess the continuing relevance of the Strategy.
- Terms of Reference
- Annex 1: Strategy 2017-2021
- Annex 2: Missionary Approach to Development Interventions (LB2018-02): Reflections on missionary and wider faith-based approaches to development
Misean Cara invites applications from interested parties to undertake this Mid-term Strategic Review as outlined above. Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org citing MTSR in the subject line. Closing date: 26th June 2019 (close of business).