*Please note that all funding is only available to Misean Cara members, and their affiliates.
Small Development Grant (effective from April 2017)
Through the Small Development Grant, Misean Cara provides co-financing grants of between €2,000 to €9,999 in support of members’ development projects. Only single-year project proposals eligible under this scheme.
As well as intervention types amenable to a small-scale, single-year approach, the Small Development Grant scheme allows for proposals from members trying something new (pilots, innovations, projects in higher risk areas) over one year. In this way, it can help support and test interventions that, if successful, could be scaled-up.
This scheme offers a quick, simple and light means by which members can propose good quality, small-scale interventions, within Misean Cara’s strategic sectors (outlined below), for which they require small scale, single-year Misean Cara co-funding.
Misean Cara particularly seeks to support missionary development projects that complement state-led responses to the provision of basic services, that aim at tackling the root and structural causes of poverty, marginalisation and injustice, and that take innovative approaches that are well researched and justified.
Project proposals should be coherent with the high-level guidance and strategic priorities as set out in the Misean Cara funding policy. This includes support for high-quality initiatives (demonstrating good practice, value for money and positive results for poor, vulnerable and marginalised people in the communities contexts targeted) to address one or more of Misean Cara’s four sectoral goals:
- Goal 1: Uphold the Right to Quality Education
- Goal 2: Uphold the Right to Better Health, Clean Water and Sanitation:
- Goal 3: Uphold the Right to Sustainable Livelihoods
- Goal 4: Uphold and Advocate for Human Rights
Small Development Grant proposals may involve multiple sectors where the approach is adequately justified, although this is less expected in this scheme than other Misean Cara schemes.
Proposals are welcomed which:
- Prioritise interventions in support of marginalised communities, particularly key target groups including women and children, refugees and displaced people, and people with disabilities;
- Target resources strategically, supporting work in locations where members have a strong presence and potential to leverage greater change;
- Promote outstanding initiatives that demonstrate the missionary approach to development;
- Illustrate that members are taking risks and breaking new ground to address new challenges;
- Prioritise areas facing extreme poverty and inequality; and,
- Tackle environmental sustainability and community resilience in the context of climate change.
More Information: Full and detailed guidelines in support of applications for a Small Development Grant and the related funding application form and supporting templates are available to members through Misean Cara’s on-line system Mission Links.
Co-funding: Co-funding from Misean Cara is limited to €750,000 per member across all schemes except Emergency in any given calendar year (although additional funds, perhaps requiring a higher level of co-funding from applicants, may become available if the Misean Cara effort to diversify funding sources and increase the overall finance available to Misean Cara is successful).
Each proposal must demonstrate up-front that the member has secured the 25% required co-funding. Up to 10% of this co-funding can be provided in-kind, but at least 15% must be provided as a financial contribution.
Child Safeguarding: Misean Cara requires that appropriate Safeguarding/Child Protection policies and procedures are in place and implemented within all Misean Cara funded projects. These policies are applicable to all board members, management, staff, volunteers, consultants and any other third party acting on behalf of the member. The members will ensure that arrangements are made to have the Safeguarding/Child Protection policies and procedures in place, implemented, and monitored.
Project Grant Finance Guidelines: Accepting a Misean Cara grant binds members to acceptance of the Project Grant Finance Guidelines, the particulars are to be found in the detailed Finance Guidelines on Mission Links.